Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Paleo Girl Diet Basics


Well after the exploding egg incident I suppose I should go over what exactly one eats on a Paleo Girl Diet.

When our cave dwelling ancestors were curled up in caves they ate very much differently than we do today. Certainly there were no Bronte-surus burger joints like there were on my favorite kids cartoon, The Flintstones.

So what did cave girls and guys eat?

First they really ate what ever they could find in the wild. For us modern Paleo Girls and Guys that's just not going to fly. Could you imagine gathering all of your food for every single meal? For most of us that's just not feasible. Even more so for this Paleo girl who lives in the desert. I'm pretty dang sure I would stave to death trying to get all my food from the desert. I will how ever try my hand at gathering some. I hope you all will too. i think it really lends to the whole Paleo experience, LOL!

Ok so on to what can you eat on the Paleo Diet?

1. Meat. Grass feed beef,organic poultry, wild caught fish, seafood (non farmed) and even better if you know a hunter who can provide you with deer, elk, rabbit, or maybe even Mastodon meat. Ok I made that last one up. You will want to avoid all farm raised and grain fed meets.

2. Veggies. This means leafy green yummys, asparagus, you name it. You will avoid eating starch veggies like potatoes, yams etc. Aldo you will want to avoid MOST corn. Modern corn has too much starch and sugar. You can eat heirloom varieties if you can find them, blue corn would be acceptable.

3. Fruit, but very limited. Fruits were not always available to our paleo ancestors, so we will limit our fruits to no more than 1 serving a day. We will also avoid dried fruits.

4.Beans and legumes- Now most Paelo Diets will tell you not to eat these. I think this is a little off. i personally know that one of the basics in the Native American Diet is beans. The Anasazi ruins have found beans in them. So in my diet I will eat beans. I will say that eating heirloom varieties is best,I have a ton of Adzuki beans so I will use these for now. I will however avoid peanuts, as i am not sure about these. I think lentils will be ok too.

5. Seeds and nuts. I think these were definitely on the diet and I will be eating these in moderation and only in the raw versions.


The naughty list~

Grains- I think for the most part these were un-attainable and I know the cause me all sorts of problems so these will be avoided. This included, wheat, rice, oats, etc.

Milk- Now I am on the fence about this. I am pretty sure that our Paleo ancestors had some access to milk. But their milks was RAW from grass fed sheep, goats, maybe cows. So I will say NO milk products unless they are raw or cultured.

Sugars- Well these are refined so yup no nos. I would think our Paleo girls would have found a cache of honey on occasion so I would say honey is OK in moderation. Once a week, once every couple of weeks. And of course it should be RAW only.

Processed foods. Avoid all of these, ketchup, salad dressing. Unless you make these on your own and they are out of paleo stuff or fresh herbs etc. Lets just not do them. Lets eat our food in its most natural state. Of course eating raw meat is yucky and out!

Juice(pasteurized, you may have limited amounts od raw freshly juiced drinks), Coffee, Alcoholic beverages.


I think that this site http://www.nerdheaven.dk/~jevk/paleo_intro.php is full of helpful info to. Although i not agree with the salt. Salt is fine if its the right salt. Real salt or unprocessed sea salts are great and use them liberally, especially if you have adrenal function issues. Avoid processed table salts like the kind you buy in the round cardboard container.

No comments:

Post a Comment