1 1/4 cups of water
3 Throat Coat Bags of tea (you can use any tea for colds or even just echinechea or lemon ginger is nice too)
1 cup of raw cane sugar
1/3 cup of honey
15 drops of lemon essential oil
15 drops of peppermint essential oil
10 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
5 drops of tea tree oil
5 drops of lavender oil
You will need some sort of mold for these, either a candy mold or you can take a cookie sheet and fill it with cornstarch about 1/2 inch deep, then you take and roundish shape no more than 1 inch wide and press the shape into the corn starch about 1/2 way down. You will need to make about 75-80 of these.
1. Boil the water and tea for 5 minutes and then allow to steep for 15 more minutes to make a very strong tea.
2. Over medium high heat dissolve sugar and honey in tea.
3. Do not stir and allow mixture to reach the hard crack stage or 300 degrees. This is important otherwise they will be very sticky and stick to your teeth!
4. Once your reach 300 degrees pour mixture into a Pyrex measuring cup, add the essential oils stir and moving quickly but carefully pour into your mold.
5. Once cool wrap in wax paper to prevent sticking and store in a zip lock bag in a cool area. ;0)
Enjoy! You can play with the essential oils or the tea, for different variations, or even add some fruit juice concentrate for kids.
This recipe makes about 80 cough drops depending on your mold size and they taste a lot like Ricola brand cough drops. ;0)